For one week, the most influential military aircraft of the last century will be on display at the Chicago Rockford International Airport. The aircraft that were instrumental in World War II and later during the Korean War will be on the ramp at RFD and be open for tours and even rides. The week is capped off with a mass takeoff of over 100 Bonanza aircraft as they make their way to the largest gathering of aircraft in the world in Oshkosh. Below are details on the festivities of this week of aviation at Chicago Rockford International Airport.
IN ADDITION, ANYONE ATTENDING THE EVENT CAN ENTER A DRAWING TO WIN TWO (2) ROUND TRIP TICKETS DEPARTING FROM RFD TO ANY ALLEGIANT DESTINATION.
JULY 22-24, 2013
You can re-live history and ride on one of the rarest World War II bombers in existence by taking a “Living History” BOMBER RIDE. This unique in-the-air exper- ience allows you to sit in their seat and see and feel what our veterans encountered . . . minus the bullets and flak.
Don’t miss this “once-in-a-lifetime” experience. It is a definite must for your bucket list. Once airborne you will be able to get up and move around (FAA rules require the B-29 bombardier to stay seated). Your trip back in time will allow you to honor the sacrifices of countless men and women who fought and died for our freedoms.
Monday, July 22 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- B-29 arrives at approximately noon
- Gates open at 2:00 p.m.
- Cockpit tours available after 2:00 p.m.
Tuesday, July 23 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Cockpit tours available from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, July 24 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- B-29 flys at 9:00 a.m. & 10:30 a.m.
- Cockpit tours available after 12:00 p.m.
- L-39 Albatross
- T-6 Texan
- T-28 Trojan
- North American BT-14
- BAC-167 Strikemaster
- 1926 Ahrens Fox Fire Truck
- Allegiant Air NASCAR vehicle - Allegiant will be doing a drawing from entries received at their display for a trip to the 2014 Daytona 500.
* Displays subject to change.
- $10 per person
- $20 for Mom, Dad & the kids
- Children 5 and Under FREE
* Price includes FREE B-29 Cockpit Tour*
Limited concessions will be available.
Donald A. Manzullo International Terminal Ramp
60 Airport Drive
Rockford, IL 61109
July 26 - 27, 2013
Join RFD in welcoming the largest gathering of Bonanza aircraft in the world. They will be coming from all over the country to stop at RFD before making their grand exit towards Oshkosh and the EAA AirVenture. Last year there were over 110 aircraft lined up on the runway set to take off in threes. This year the group is inviting anyone interested to come out and talk to the pilots on Friday and see the aircraft as they take off the following day. The majority of the aircraft will begin landing on Friday, July 26th. Their departure is set for Saturday, July 27th at noon, weather dependent.
Friday, July 26th
- Pilots* and aircraft will be available on the Donald A. Manzullo International Terminal Ramp from 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday, July 27th
- A designated area will be made available for those interested in coming out to watch the departure from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The departure is scheduled for noon.
* Based on availability